View Single Post
Old 04.14.2019, 06:33 PM   #51274
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
It’s fine.
Super overrated. People acting like it’s goddamn Trout Mask Replica.

Agreed. I do enjoy it though. And listening to some of the tracks that seemed like standouts to me again, I think I can pinpoint what bothered me during my first listen. The arrangement is often great, but at times I couldn't help but notice the all too squeaky clean production. Funnily enough, I think the album is at its best when it fully embraces its bombastic Pop-aspects. Because those tracks, including the opener, were the ones in which her voice could really shine. She has this tendency to really go for those long, breathy notes - which I don't mind too much in more melodic tunes. But it's in the more stripped-down and less melodic ones (like in "Movies", though I do enjoy the cold synthesized ambiance of that track a lot) where I found this to be a bit tedious. "Mirror Forever" especially was a chore in that regard. Might just be a personal pet-peeve, but yeah, this kind of bothered me. I also thought that some of the tracks didn't have much connecting tissue that really made them stick. So yeah. I think there's definitely some great stuff in there, it just isn't great as a whole.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|