View Single Post
Old 03.07.2019, 06:20 PM   #51102
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Pulled out my copy of 1998's Soul Deep: The Best Of The Box Tops, and here's the exact quote from the liner notes:

Quote:
Today, The Box Tops don't get much retroactive recognition; if anything, Chilton's subsequent band Big Star has overshadowed his hit-making outfit in terms of pure coolness quotient. But at the time, some of the most respected rock writers had a more than kind word for the band. Lester Bangs, writing about Non Stop [1967] for Rolling Stone, praised the "beautiful buoyant stretches of pure rolling pleasure, somewhat like The Rascals' sweet-soul songs but more airy". And Robert Christgau said that The Box Tops represented "the highest kind of rock and roll, a music of such immediate appeal that I regard it as a litmus elimination for phony rock fans".

Speaking of Chilton and of "Sugar, Sugar", check out Alex's DEMONIC version from Free Again: The "1970" Sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJRmkKjBM8

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|