View Single Post
Old 02.20.2019, 08:54 AM   #23613
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'd say it depends less on the film and more on the person analysing it. I've seen great films butchered and mediocre ones suddenly seem more interesting depending on the sensitivity of whoever's analysing them.

Eraserhead is a potent example of this. I've seen so many people analyze that film to hell and back. All this stuff about parallel dimensions, and deep philosophical burdens, when to me it's clearly just a dark comedy about a man struggling to cope with the pressures of becoming a father.

Most of the symbolism in Eraserhead is fairly straightforward. It's akin to a cartoon at some points, it's so on the nose. So many look for an ocean in a puddle, while Lynch just wiggles his fingers and jests, "I don't know what it's about... what do you think?" (wiggle wiggle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I'm absolutely sure I will in the future, but it'll probably be when I'm watching something myself for pleasure. Having to bludgeon a book or movie to death is really frustrating - but that may just be because subtexts and themes have always been kind of hidden to me.

Totally! Some professors have a way of making everything over-analytical and boring. Imagine taking a class on Daydream Nation and being forced to decipher the meaning behind each bit of reverb and distortion. Art is about passion, and you can't force that.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|