View Single Post
Old 02.09.2019, 09:32 AM   #23561
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
antonioni took cortázar mostly as an inspiration. itks not the same story. the short story is the best of the lot, but would be impossible to make as film almost. the short story is more about, oh... the blurring of subject and object, maybe? and there is the photograph and the enlargement and the obsession but... ok i see it with antonioni, he tried to get at it in his own way. but it’s a very delicate thing to achieve even in writing. in film... wow.

mike leigh called it the worst movie ever and a bunch of pretentious crap haahaaahaaa. i can see why. opposite metaphysics. materialism vs idealism or something. me i draw the line at last year ar marienbad. zzzzzz. that was not antonioni though. but one could make a similar complaint—pretentious, tries to fuck with reality, who cares.

the reading of blowup has changed over the decades of course. it’s not what it once was. we live in politically correct times. the 60s loved orgies more because they were supposedly liberating, but now people are after... perfect virtue i guess. or the appearance of it anyway.

still i dont think antonioni was... celebrating that whole scene. there was a massive loneliness here as well. if it was popular likely it was in spite of itself.

im gonna guess with depalma he made the image more baroque, removed all subtleties, and emphasized the schlocky bits? which i dont mind at all btw hahaha. i’ll check it out when criterion reopens april 8.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|