View Single Post
Old 01.13.2019, 10:22 AM   #23306
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Force Awakens was flawed in the fact that it played everything too safe. A re-skinned version of A New Hope for modern tastes.

Last Jedi tore all expectations and franchise conventions a new asshole and was shunned for it

Just like Empire, it will be remembered insanely fondly with time. Hopefully the 3rd in the new trilogy isn't some cookie cutter bs.

Well, I was pretty blown away by The Force Awakens because after 30 years or whatever, I finally felt like Star Wars was back, and that there was some wonder to be seen and felt through those familiar places and tropes again.

TFA did take some chances, I think. The battle in the snow was beautiful and stuck with me. I was not expecting certain things to happen that totally happened.

And Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren — instead of just being another Vader — brought a Shakespearean level of tragedy to the character and the series, and was both more terrifying and more appealing than Vader ever was to me.

But yes, it was “A New Hope Again Sometime Later,” but that’s kind of in keeping with the whole “nothing ever ends” idea of the hero’s journey as an archetype.

Docked a few points for being basically the same plot as the original SW, but have to add about a hundred points for being a better movie than that movie (sorry!).

Though yes, Last Jedi was more interesting and it’s HILARIOUS how mad people got about it. Hahahahaha. Meanwhile it’s got like a 95% Rotten Tomatoes score (not that that means anything), but fanboys and Gamergate/Comicsgate types are a sensitive bunch despite how much they love to accuse others of being too sensitive.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|