View Single Post
Old 11.30.2018, 08:19 AM   #23142
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
managed to catch 2 great ones last night
fassbinder’s LOLA (1981)

the 2nd brd movie fassbinder made but really the 3rd one in his scheme, it shoves a red hot poker into the ass of the market ideologies that swept germany in the postwar, and it’s hilarious and sad and hilarious again, as it borrows heavily from the blue angel, the 30s movie with marlene dietrich about a moralistic schoolteacher who falls in love with a cabaret singer (i saw it only as a kid and remember it as sad as fuck, maybe there was some humor in it i missed at the time, planning to rewatch soon).

barbara sukowa (the time machine lady from that 12 monkeys tv show) is GREAT in it, armin mueller-stahl is great in it, udo kier makes a brief appearance, fassbinder’s regulars do a great job, etc., and to appropiate cecil taylor, “sukowa was hot!”.

anyway ,besides the great story, etc., the lights are BANANAS in this film. super-artificial and fantastic. he’ll light 2 characters in the same thing with different color lights, light someone outdoors with i door lights, make lights flicker, etc etc. it’s sometimes obviously a “code” with apparent meanings, but it goes so far it becomes a distancing effect at the same time (for me anyway, i’m like “whoa the lights...” and “hahaha the lights”).

brilliant movie really and im a little sad to miss some of the context (there’s a germany-sweden game on the radio at some point) but im gladder im not a postwar german haaa haaa haaa.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|