View Single Post
Old 11.02.2018, 07:16 AM   #723
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
New Vince Staples album called “FM!” dropped last night.

I’ve always really liked Vince, and on first listen this new hard-going, short and punchy EP-length album is no exception.

However — Howver , I say — every time Vince drops a new album I find myself expecting a tour de force on par with “Summertime ‘06,” which stretched the possibilities for a new hip-hop artist much like Kendrick’s “good kid, mAAd city” did. And every time, though I’m always happy with the result, I am a little disappointed that the sprawling, boundless, textured style of that first full-length album seems to behind him.

I like “Prima Donna,” and “Big Fish Theory” and this new one — all great projects — but, while these projects are fun and WAY above the standard quality level of hip-hop in the 2010s, the genius of “Summertime ‘06” has never been replicated.

I’ll be listening more for sure.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|