View Single Post
Old 01.21.2018, 08:04 PM   #4885
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
a good idea. i agree with that when i see past my aesthetic prejudices.

That's essentially it.

Obviously you wrote loads, too much to address properly, but I basically agree. As a writer he stands alongside names like Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E. Howard. Poe is a different class.

But as you eventually concede, HPL's vagueness is largely the point: he's demonstrating the futility of the human mind trying to describe things that by their nature are beyond our human understanding. Part of why the whole mythos is interesting to me and so many others is it provides a gradual piecing together of vague fragments of information only glimpsed at in individual stories, so you get a greater (though crucially never complete) sense of the whole. So the tingle you (and I) get from a single passage by Poe, I also get from the slow accumulation of information that HPL hints at across multiple stories.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|