View Single Post
Old 10.17.2017, 05:06 AM   #21664
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i knew it was gonna be a home run for me when i caught myself smiling several times during the movie. not because the movie itself was a happy one but because i was getting a sense of something so very well done.

and then instead of feeling anxious about the plot i started feeling anxious about the movie stepping on a banana peel. and there were some minor banana peels for me but they were not catastrophic.

SPOILERS SPOILERS

one was the digital recreation of rachel. it was too obvious and heavy handed and it looked weird and flat anyway, like a cardboard cutout. i don’t think that it even was necessary for that scene. it ruined it for me a little.

the other heavy handed moment is when the movie doesn’t end with k on the steps of the lab. i wanted the movie to end there. this was the end of his job and therefore his film. but no, they had to had deckard putting his hand on the glass. agh! just that last shot.

so i wasn’t gonna start reading reviews for a while and let the movie seep into my deep brain first but turns out i got into a fight of sorts with a feminist friend who saw nothing but shit in this film— gave it an overly straight, square reading (in the sense of a certain political orthodoxy)and had nothing but condemnation—which puzzled me because i thought i had seen a much more ambiguous piece in this. so i went on to find other feminist readings of it and found a healthy diversity of opinions among a variety of writers. but some people just can’t stand diversity or difference of opinion, and hence... i’m good at pissing off dogmatic people haa haaa haa.

eta: i’ll have to say though, i’ve found a lot of women enraged beyond reason lately. i’ve found myself being yelled out instead of argued with in recent months. i sympathize/understand that the current climate we live in, with president pussy grabber being rewarded for his predatory behavior, must have tipped some people over the limit. we’re at a turning point in more ways than one—the patriarchy is fighting for its last gasps of air. so i understand the pent-up rage. at the same time, i still can’t be persuaded by dogmatism and yelling— the only force i’ll voluntarily submit to is the one contained in a good argument.

SPOILERS!

Was it a digital recreation of Rachel? I actually couldn’t tell. Looked like it might have been a different actress, made up and filmed to look just like her. At least in that sequence when she comes out and talks to Deckard. The first time we saw her it felt more like a flashback, like digitized footage from the original movie. I really wasn’t sure about all of that, but I agree it was a little off. Not off enough to create a problem for me with the movie, but it was certainly a hiccup.

That’s a trend these days. Like in Captain America: Civil War, when they used old footage of RDJ to “de-age” him and turn him into a cartoon, essentially, that did what they wanted him to do. It may have started with Benjamin Button (which used old Brad Pitt footage to digitally put a younger face on 50-year-old Pitt’s body) or maybe it started with that Michael Jackson hologram or some shit. I dunno. Imagine how godawful it’s all going to look in a few years.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|