View Single Post
Old 09.29.2017, 02:57 PM   #3149
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Believing in something is just believing in something. Acting on that belief is different.

"You know, I'd get it if people were just looking for a way to fill the holes. But they WANT the holes. They wanna LIVE in the holes. And they go NUTS when someone else pours dirt in their holes. CLIMB OUT OF YOUR HOLES, PEOPLE!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Sorry, but it’s extremely unfair to call faith crazy, or equate it to socially dangerous behavior. Like I said, I “believe” in God; or rather, I don’t believe there *definitely* is no god because I understand how silly it would be to take a stance like that. It’s a choice I make to believe in something pleasant that is probably not true. It’s something for dark moments. It’s hope. That’s all. I don’t believe in the Bible and I don’t subscribe to any religion, but I choose to naively believe that there’s a source of complete benevolent goodness out there.

I know it’s probbaly not true, and I’d never try to get someone to believe that it is.

I actually think that having absolute certainty about the truth/falsenesss of a fantastical and non-falsifiable idea is more crazy than being open to the possibility that it might be true. You’d have to think that somehow you knew the unknowable. That’s much more crazy than saying, “It’s unknowable, but I choose to believe it might be true.”

Take it up with the professor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking#Religion

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|