View Single Post
Old 07.20.2017, 10:23 PM   #48926
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Nirvana
From The Muddy Banks Of The Wishkah
1996, I still remember the day in '96 that I asked my dad to drive me to the record store to buy the new Nirvana live album. It was kind of a big deal y'know? Sure we had the Unplugged album, which I totally adored. But this was a full live album presenting the band as we mostly knew it: loud. I remember that my initial reaction to this album was two-fold. First, I was sort of baffled by it. The tracklisting seemed so weird. Here was a live album which was assembled from a full career rather than a single show, and it felt in a way like the performances were chosen at random. But my other initial reaction was that it was awesome. It was awesome that the setlist kept you on your toes. One minute you were hearing a hit single, the next a deep cut or stray b-side. This all thanks to Krist (and Dave) who put this thing together with love. It seems they wanted us to remember the band for what it really was: just a great band with great songs. And in that sense every song in their oeuvre was equally important. And every performance could hold something special. That is to say that almost none of these live tracks feel like definitive versions to me. Heck, I know from many bootlegs over the years that they're not. Well, actually "Milk It" may be pretty close to perfection here. But it seems important to remember with this document that even wrong notes and strained vocal chords at the end of a tour were part of Nirvana's sound. And looking at the setlist that happily touches upon every major release (including Incesticide) but also peppers in rarities like "Spank Thru" or "Been A Son." Really we could sit here and nitpick all day, digging through mountains of bootlegs and arguing over which version of which song should have been included. But it just doesn't matter. This is a great fucking listen.

This is the definitive version of "Aneurysm." This is the only version of "Aneurysm" that matters.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|