View Single Post
Old 06.28.2017, 06:47 PM   #21238
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

it really is. i think also boomers loved it for the wrong reasons (i only think, not "assert"). in that the end is very telling when you look at it in retrospective it's not "positive". so it's not like finding liberation, but rather, yo get what you want, and now...? ah ha ha ha. in a way it's like the boomers-- their idealist hippies turned into yuppies with empty lives. only here it doesn't get to the 80s-- just to the moment after the empty win

oh, maybe im a cynic. but i love the movie precisely because it shows there's no escape. at least not this way

A lot of people I speak to about the movie don't really register that moment at the end, so I'm glad that it's pop culture common knowledge to you guys.

I think The Graduate is misinterpreted a great deal, and that people miss the significance of that moment because of how pretty and stylized and superbly well crafted the movie is as a whole -- but the films exists around that final look, in which, yes, these two characters realize that instead of escaping the "phony" world around them, they've actually taken their first steps toward being part of it. Loveless marriage and all.

I've always felt that there was some spiritual overlap between The Graduate and Catcher in the Rye; which I won't get into here, again, for everyone's sake. But if you take the thing as a whole, pointedly not-happy ending and all, then it's still just a really fantastic film.

That one would have to be in my all-time favorites list, irrespective of genre or era.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|