View Single Post
Old 06.21.2017, 01:30 AM   #21223
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think us tv has surpassed europe for a while now. though you realize many productions are international these days. maybe it's more like us tv has absorbed european tv and shot it with steroids and added some great stuff. smart AND fun.

and yes hollywood films are after a global audience now. i forget what movie recently had chinese "inserts" so that i could be successful in china. but yeah it's all about the exports.

who said that america doesn't manufacture things anymore? movies are massive industrial pursuits. MASSIVE.

anyway i wrote a longer version of this later but the browser cacked out. i'll follow up tomorrow...

I think part of this is true regarding US TV versus European TV. At the very least, European TV was willing to produce some pretty heady stuff in the 70's and 80's. German TV financed Rainer Werner Fassbinder over the course of two decades and series like "World On A Wire", "Berlin Alexanderplitz" and the newly re-restored "Eight Hours Are Not A Day"- besides being proclaimed as masterpieces now- were adventurous attempts for TV series/movies. Likewise, French filmmakers such as Jacques Rivette ("Out 1"), Marcel Ophuls (a host of WW2 documentaries) and Maurice Pialat ("A House in the Woods") all ventured into the TV realm. I know there's alot more I've forgotten.

American TV, during that same time, were content with freakin' "Hunter" or "Cagney and Lacey". Perhaps the most "adventurous" we got was financing Marvin Chomsky's "Holocaust" series or something like "Roots".....ambitious, historically moving ideas wrapped behind a fairly safe and recognizable facade. I suppose "Twin Peaks" in the early 90's was the greatest leap for American production and then followed by HBO's trailblazing one-two punch of "The Wire" and "The Sopranos". Thirty years later.....
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|