View Single Post
Old 04.21.2017, 11:20 AM   #20951
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it's from the 80s, at the height of the red/nuclear scare-- war games, the day after, etc. militaristic shit shifted from ww2 stuff to the then-present like top gun. rah rah america

people really were afraid they'd die in a mushroom cloud or from radiation poisoning. not like in the 60s when they'd tell you to hide under a desk, but this time you knew you'd be obliterated by ICBMs. no need for cuba.

there was also the neutron bomb (see: repo man), and ronnie raygun wanted star wars. the soviets were in afghanistan. a kgb man became soviet prime minister.

the soviet union was crumbling from within, but they didn't want you to know that-- they wanted you to be scared of the "evil empire" instead.

9/11 type "terrorism" doesn't hold a candle to the existential dread of the 80s

and gorbachev came as a huuuuuuuuuge relief

incidentally, i'm watching season 5 of "the americans" on tv which illustrates much of this

I remember a bit of this, though I was pretty young. But I do recall "red scare" topical plot lines taking over a lot of cinema. Like Rocky IV or Superman IV -- not rife with Cold War analogies. Not very subtle in Rocky's case... more like a blunt force blow to the head.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|