View Single Post
Old 04.07.2017, 09:08 AM   #233
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
With all this discussion on DC movies, what do you guys think of the news of Joss Whedon writing/directing a Batgirl solo movie?

I don't personally see any need for a Batgirl movie. I guess if Joss Whedon's directing it then it stands a better chance of being good than, say, Gotham City fucking Makes-No-Sense-Sirens, and I appreciate that he's probably looking for a way to continue being part of the culture since Marvel more or less ousted him from Avengers-land, but the main problem I have with all of this Bat-stuff (like the Nightwing movie that's apparently in the works, and all the rest) is that it ALL hinges on a pretty goddamn bad Batman. It's not that Ben Affleck sucks -- though I know that's the popular opinion -- but he's just not turning any heads with his performance so far, and he clearly wants to be DONE being Batman as soon as possible.

He was a bad choice from the beginning just because of how people would respond, and because he already did Daredevil (poorly). If he can't pull of Batman-lite, why would anyone think he'd be able to pull off Batman?

So, essentially, because the goal of EVERYTHING at both Marvel and D.C. seems to be shared universes, I think it's kind of doomed from the start. All of it. Because it's predicated on a Batman that has, like, NO chance of being permanent.

Now, I have a ton of confidence in Joss Whedon. Just a ton. The first Avengers movie suffered from some abysmal costume choices, but the second one was awesome (I know I've said I didn't like it as much as the first previously, but I re-watched the both of them last fall, and Ultron is the better movie... even if I'm the only one who thinks so), and his other movies -- mostly Serenity and Cabin in the Woods -- are fucking GREAT. Dark and funny in all the right ways. So I'm sure whatever he does will be great fun, but if it's based on a failing, crumbling premise (the current fat-head Batman who sucks big), then what's the point?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|