View Single Post
Old 02.26.2017, 10:31 AM   #20766
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
So I finished Nocturnal Animals.

It was engaging, I have to admit. I mean, I knew Amy Adams would be. But the rest of it held my attention. Michael Shannon's performance is the very obvious highlight, BUT... it's not the kind of "Oh no fucking way!" best supporting that, say, Javier Bardem delivered in No Country for Old Men, or you-know-who delivered in The Dark You-Know-What.

I have a pseudo-friend who is becoming *something* of a semi-big shot in the independent film world as a screenwriter. Honestly, he kind of grosses me out, because he's experienced some success at festivals for one film, and now he's just Mr. Film Guy. I'm happy for him, but he won't be quitting his day job any time soon, but that hasn't stopped him from feeling VERY important indeed, and I just don't really jive with that.

ANUway... he's melting over Michael Shannon. Just swooning. Over this part in Nocturnal Animals. But the thing is... the whole film is pretty well acted, as most films are these days. Shannon got the prime scene-stealer of a role, the one role that makes you want to sit and find out what happens next (even though he plays a fictional character in Amy's imagination while reading a book). I think the part is low in depth, high on instant gratification. In a movie that is bleak and twisted almost as a fucking rule, Shannon plays the one and only character that isn't completely insufferable, so he's really set up to be the "hero" for the viewer.

Anyway, it's not earth shattering. It's convenient, and capably played. I would not be surprised if he won, but I can think of several other actors both above Shannon's level (Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey, Daniel Day Lewis) who could have pulled off this role and having it be kind of a blow-off role career wise, not worthy of hype.

I can even think of a few actors beneath Shannon's level (Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck) who could have done this just as well. So I think there's an element of the role-as-film's-redemption that's at play here. Still, he does a fine job, and the movie has nothing else about it, save for perhaps its pacing and look, that makes it special in any way, so I can totally live with him winning.

But my pseudo-friend is batshit. This is not the kind of performance or film that goes down in history. It's just not. And Best Supporting roles tend to be the some of the meatiest and most complex. I hope to see Shannon do more of this kind of intense, in the moment acting. He is talented. But, again, no Heath or Javier or blah blah.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this fashion-show-I-mean-movie?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|