View Single Post
Old 12.30.2016, 11:39 AM   #20313
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
liked that movie very much.

Yeah, me too. I wasn't sure it would hold up. When I first saw it I was a bit blown away by the atmosphere and the music and the performances and how utterly different it was from what I expected after seeing the previews (looked like a stylized Bourne Identity type thing in the trailers). But it knocked me out because of its unexpectedness and the nature of its intensity.

I didn't know if it would still be a home run after three or four years. But this time I paid a lot more attention to the symbolism and the silent motivations of the characters, and the precision of the direction. I think just about every element of every shot is deliberate. There's no idle dialogue or random filler. It's planned out and executed like one of Driver's (here "the kid's") getaway routs at the start of the film.

I maintain that it's one of the best movies of the decade. I thought I was kind of alone in this, and that I was defending a movie that didn't meet traditional standards of "goodness" or whatever, but I hadn't realized Nicolas Winding Refn won the Best Director award at Cannes 2011, or that it was at or near the top of so many critic lists for that year.

Anyway, if you haven't seen Drive, see fucking Drive for the love of all that is holy.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|