View Single Post
Old 11.27.2016, 11:34 AM   #1886
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i wasn't talking about you personally but the party as a whole. it needs a product and it needs to sell it right. most recently it failed at both.

but it wouldn't be a bad thing for you personally to learn to sell. it takes smart people to sell. it takes good listeners to sell.

sales people, actually, are the ones who make the most money in any business organization-- everybody else works on salary. someone who works on commission and sells a fleet of 777 airplanes or a supertanker or some real estate in dubai is going to get a fuuuuuuuuuuuckload of money.

what you call "dumbing down" is the ability to empathize with regular people and customize your message to your audience. any stupid person can tell you what they think they want, but it takes intelligence to listen and understand what someone else needs. it takes intelligence to simplify complex ideas and make them clear and memorable. it takes intelligence to persuade people and win them over to your side.

read this and have fun:

http://www.inc.com/steve-tobak/how-t...o-anybody.html

Ok, well, I didn't mean to come at you with a challenging tone, and I apologize if I did, or if I've sounded argumentative at all.

You're basically talking about campaigning though, aren't you? I mean, when all is said and done, campaigning is selling. And you're right, the party needs to get better at this. Or restore a fire they previously had for this kind of '"market manipulation."

As for ME... what I can do in conversation with people who have already made up their mind that the country "needed" Trump... it's not an immediate plan of action. What we need *right now* is for our senators (most of them being Republican at this point) to do the unthinkable -- strike down Trump's magnificently dangerous cabinet proposals, and make an enemy of their own party's man.

I don't know what things are like day to day for you guys, but for me, I'm just surrounded by people who think this is all the best thing to happen to the U.S. in decades... since Bush ended the "moral bankruptcy" or the Clinton administration. I don't think it's possible for me to sell an idea to these old ass White folks and single issue voters. Am I being a doomist? Maybe. And maybe that's impairing my ability to think straight.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with people like Symbols with whom I agree almost almost all things social and political. But I seem to be coming across as stubborn and bull-headed, so maybe I need to reevaluate the way I'm talking to my *friends* here, as well as the folks who are functional enemies at this point.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|