View Single Post
Old 11.20.2016, 03:58 PM   #19929
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think memento was his duel and it was pretty great-- very barebones and very effective. what was it, 3 actors?

he's definitely all about the mind and what is real and the construction of the self through memory and am i dreaming this?

so i imagine his dunkirk will be about some shellshocked soldier who wonders if he's alive or dead and if he has a best girl at home waiting for him or something and it will be sad like maybe he actually drowned while being rescued by a fisherman.

well at least from what i've seen from him.

Well Beckett sometimes worked with even fewer actors but could rinse all kinds of complexity out of those.

I'm not really criticising Nolan. Like I say, I like his films, and would agree he's one of the most consistently good directors working at the moment, And yes, being 'all about the mind' is great, but only if you have something interesting to say about it and I'm not that sure he does. Interstellar came closest for me to him actually saying something genuinely thought provoking. I loved the Batman films but not when I felt like they were trying to make some kind of profound point.

All I'm saying is Nolan is an excellent filmmaker but it'll only damage his reputation in the longterm if people keep talking about him like he's the new Tarkovsky (not that Severian has, but I've had enough conversations wwith people who've at least alluded to it). He's the new Ridley Scott, and at a push maybe the new Kubrick, which is fine by me.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|