View Single Post
Old 11.05.2016, 08:03 PM   #1556
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry I deleted my post (which you must have been replying to) because it seems like I mention grad school a bit too much on here and it made me sick for a second, so I had to get rid of it, leaving you with nothing to respond to.

But because you replied, I'll give a regurgitated version:

I have the equivalent of a master's in science -- I say equivalent because I skipped out on a doctorate program. Point is, I have the kind of degrees everyone tells you you should get, and it still took me almost a year to find good work after I was laid off in '14. And the work I found is not even in that field (neither the math/actuarial "field" I'd been in prior to being laid off, nor the science/research/teaching field my education was in).

The job market is CHAOS. A lot of people don't know what skills they actually have, or they have an unrealistic idea of the breadth of their skill set. To get any education at all (Bachelor's being really the bare minimum of what you need to have a "good" job) you need to go into pretty serious debt.

Republicans In the Midwest are trying to push people to consider vocational schools and stop seeing college as the only opinion, only way to success. But there are certain things that can't be learned by "doing." For example, how to learn and think more effectively. The US will have free higher education over he cold dead carcass of the republican electorate.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|