View Single Post
Old 09.17.2016, 02:00 PM   #19586
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
im having me a little forman festival this weekend and booked loves of a blonde + amadeus for a double feature. ah ha ha ha

thanks, thread!

right now im on the amadeus intermission (have to flip the dvd-- it's like a laserdisc!) and here are some things i've enjoyed so far

salieri rebels against GOD!! this is milton. of course shaffer had to be english. great variation on this neo-classic theme though! mythical struggles shaped to the individual age

the other "big thematic conflict" in the movie is the individual vs. authority. in this it's also somewhat like loves of a blonde, which is people living under communism, though not quite because here it's serious business but in loves of a blonde it's definitely a farce. wait, god as the ordainer of fate is the same thing. lol chinese box.

a sub plot of this which i really enjoyed is the look at the workings of monarchy. how everything depends upon one person. how chatting up a king's ear can change the whole world. and how mozart is great at music but poor at that. i sort of "identify" with this problem because i'm not an apt social operator-- i actually despise that sort of stuff and i hate it when great social operators with shitty ideas get their way. so this definitely charges me watching this.

mozart's wigs are superhilarious. there's a whole narrative of them. starts with his wig fitting and it evolves through the movie. one looks like an albino racoon. another one is orange. they are all crazy. when he brings the party home and gets news of his father his wigs are at the most degenerate curly pink

of course then when he stages don giovanni with all the fatherly doom and gloom he finally has no wig or it's a natural-looking brown

the other thing is that i braced myself to be displeased by hulce's acting but found that this time around (not when i saw it a long time ago but this time) his braying made me break out in laughter myself. really couldn't help it-- it was contagious.

oh last last last-- this time around the wife didn't bother me at all. i actually liked her-- i get her pretty face and her preppy (?) american accent (someone said connecticut)

oh, extra laughs at seeing the teacher from ferris bueller as the emperor of austria haaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaaaa

anyway i'm really digging the explicit use of american accents here. much better than the terrible terrible terrible english accent that keanu reeves affected in that "bram stoker's dracula" thing from the 90s. pffffthhhthth.

in any case, that's it so far. we're taking a loooooooong intermission so i don't know when i'll catch up with the rest

OH YES! the chick from loves of a blonde is in amadeus too. during the performance of don giovanni, sitting screen left from the musical dweeb with the glasses, is hana brejchova dressed as a viennese matron. she has a great and interesting face, but also it's great that forman was sweet to his old friends.

damn, could write about this all day but i have a sore neck
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|