View Single Post
Old 09.01.2016, 09:00 AM   #107
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmosphere
Where You Been and Hand It Over are both great albums, but they have a different feel than Dino with Lou for sure. That mid period Dino is certainly more miss than hit though. I think you're selling the new stuff a little short too. I caught them live last year and it was a great show.

With your attitude about the early Beatles stuff all I can say is that you're missing out. That's all great stuff, and although fifty years later it doesn't seem like they were pushing the envelope during that era, they actually were considering the state of music at the time. I'm always surprised that people try to write off the early Beatles stuff or be too "cool" to appreciate it. Without those early Beatles records almost all the music after would be vastly different.

Sy certainly had some turmoil during the first three or four geffen records, and while Dirty is amongst my favorites, Goo and Jet Set are amongst the least favorites.

Sorry, I must have given the wrong impression.
I DO like the newer Dino stuff. Especially Beyond. And Farm has one of my all time favorite Seb- uh, Dino songs ("Your Weather.") I've also caught some Dino shows post-reunion. The first was shortly after Beyond came out (or shortly before... honestly can't recall) but it was EXCELLENT, and they remain an incredible live act.

Re: the Beatles
I didn't mean to suggest that I don't love early Beatles. I do. I went nuts over the BBC sessions 2 a few years ago. I love Anthology 1 and the first BBC sessions. All I meant was that compared to Abbey Road, the White Album, Revolver, etc., their early material wasn't exactly mind blowing. It was still great music, carefully composed and beautiful, and their personalities and general group dynamic in those early years was really something. There is no Beatles era or music that I dislike, except for a song or two here and there.
No, please don't get me wrong. I fucking love the Beatles to the point of near-obsession. I've read more books on them (as a band and as individuals) than any other artist. My love for them and my curiosity about/interest in them is without limit. They probably wouldn't make it into a current list of my top 5 artists, but from an all-time perspective, they're right up there with Sonic Youh and the Velvet Underground.
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I guess I take it as a matter of public record that I'm a Beatles devotee, and that anyone reading my playfully disparaging comments about their pre-Rubber Soul days would take it with a grain of salt. Sorry. To be crystal clear: I fucking love the Beatles like woah.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|