View Single Post
Old 08.28.2016, 11:21 AM   #19365
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Wild. I watched that last night too. Excellent set designs/art direction. A few plot points don't make any sense, but it's a mostly fun ride. Although there's a really unpleasant, dark streak running through this if you watch closely.

I think I picked up on that. Are you referring to the weird little flashbacks that suggest that Healy's character is a desperate, lonely dude who only finds purpose in violence? The "Diner" scene really gave me pause, because he continued to beat the guy into a pulp long after the threat was neutralized. Classic tortuted hero? Or his drinking?

Or are you just talking about the general secondary premise of the entire movie, which is that industry and commerce are more valuable than ethics, moral, or even human beings? Detroit and all that?

Or (Jesus I guess there was a lot of dark shit, now that I rolodex through it all) the fact that Holly had to do all the driving for a never quite specified reason, and was way too involved in her dad's work? How a 13-year old was made to look after her comically charming, but very genuinely hopeless, depressed, degenerate father?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|