View Single Post
Old 04.25.2016, 03:26 AM   #5
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it was kind of the point to portray him that way. He was a different kind of villain in this iteration. One that was both sympathetic in some way, but also an unstable and insecure tyrant. I was put off by some of the petty things he did at first, but then I realised that this was fully intentional and started to appreciate it for what it was. Kingpin is akin to a violent version of many a wealthy politician or business tycoon. Trying to emit an air of sophistication, but ultimately coming off like a spoiled child. Can't say this theme doesn't seem familiar. I have to agree on Nobu though. He didn't do much for me either. And the whole thing about "The Hand" for that matter - it's the reason why I wasn't really emotionally invested in the finale of season 2. The Hand just seemed like another quest for our hero to partake in. There was hardly any oomph or interesting conflict behind it.

As for the acting: I can see why some people are put off by Deborah Ann Woll's acting. Personally, I didn't mind her at all though. And I might be in the minority there, but I really liked Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson. Vondie-Curtis Hall was spot-on as Ben Urich. Charlie Cox didn't have that many lighter moments if I remember correctly.

I'm kind of on the fence about the Punisher. I thought he had some legitimately great moments. But at the same time, the way he was depicted made him seem like a rambling knucklehead at certain points. I get that it was intended to portray him as your typical tough guy/badass with a soft core, but I thought he seemed kind of inconsistent and sometimes downright psychotic. And wasn't it their intention to show that he is not in fact psychotic? That he does his killings by his own will, as harsh as that truth may be? He was incredibly likeable during the graveyard scene and some other moments as well though.

I agree on the direction, cinematography and the choreography. There was one episode in season 1 (I think it was episode 6 or 7) that even made me look up the cinematographer. The fights are well-choreographed and competently directed. The hallway and staircase scenes being standouts of course, the Yakatomi Building fight (nice nod to Die Hard there) being an honorable mention.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|