View Single Post
Old 04.01.2016, 09:15 PM   #47886
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Nope. A Modest best-of is a grand thing, but the last good thing they made was LONESOME. You might say MOON but you'd be wrong. Pity. The released an album this year, didn't they? It sucked, didn't it?

--

(I'm now on "Pacific Coast Highway." This album is unquestionably the best thing I've heard in a long, long time. Weird how I forgot just how good.)

No, Lonesome was definitely the best. But I have a lot of love for Moon & Antarctica. It ALMOST felt like some kind of paradigm shift was on the horizon when that album came out. I remember hearing "The Stars Are Projectors" for the first time, and thinking there wasn't a single band in the region, or even in MM's general "class" that was doing anything like that. It lacked the speedball intensity of Lonesome Crowded West, but it had some freaky new shit going on, and I still think "Stars.." is one of their best songs.

Of course, Unwound was doing better things. But they were coming to the end of their career, and Modest Mouse felt like they might be turning into something big.

I was rooting for them big time, and probably saw them eight or ten times between Moon and Good News.... and then I never saw them again.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|