View Single Post
Old 03.31.2016, 10:30 AM   #104
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Why and HOW do the bats create some sort of tornado that lifts Bruce out of the old well he falls in? That a dream? hallucination?

In the comics it was Bruce's father who rescued him from the well, not magical bats!

Did you miss the voice over? Bruce says "in the dream they brought me up, toward the light" ... and something about how reality was the opposite ("the Bat," Bruce's lil' primal self, takes him even further into the darkness).

I admit when I was watching that scene I was saying "what. what. what. oh my fucking God..." out loud in the theatre, and breathed a huge sigh of relief when I realized it was a dream.

Still, that's not how I would have gone about setting up Bruce's story. It was just too much. And it was a double insult to Superman, on top of receiving SECOND BILLING in what was originally going to be, and essentially still is, HIS movie, that narrative duties went to Bruce Wayne.

I've been thinking so much about this, and even though I liked the movie, I can't really recommend it to anyone in a concise way. I think it's unmissable for the sheer spectacle of it, but there's just a lot of stuff that doesn't work. If it had been a Justice League movie, that would have worked better. But Batman and Superman are so different that it doesn't seem possible to truly do justice to both characters in the same film.

In this film, Superman suffered (literally and metaphorically) but I still wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|