View Single Post
Old 03.30.2016, 09:33 AM   #1321
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Your first point screams "white hipster dweeb," you know? I would take The Velvet Rope over every MJ album though.

Yeah, bro, the Velvet Rope is amazing. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I'd take it over any MJ album (wow, man.) but it's definitely in that class of outstanding late mid-late '90s experimental R&B albums that re-wrote the book for the genre. It's similar to Voodoo and The Score in that respect, only it's generally a bit more light hearted than either. But "Got 'Til it's Gone" was one of the most beautifully whacked sample based tracks of that era.
I also have tons of love for Control, which truly is a classic of epic proportions.

But Ima have to go ahead and disagree with you about taking it over MJ. Janet's had some excellent moments, but dude... Off the Wall? Thriller? Bad? Even Dangerous is pretty stiff competition. You're telling me NONE of these beasts can hold a candle to Velvet Rope? I'm just not sure I can get on board with that.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|