View Single Post
Old 02.24.2016, 10:15 PM   #894
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
(I'm not gonna give him a pass for wack lyrics just because he claims not to be a rapper though.)

Oh, come now louder. Kanye has *always* tempered his brilliance with stupidity. On Graduation, the same record that shot lyrics like sniper fire on "Good Morning" and "Can't Tell me Nothing" and "Everything I am", the dude not only used the word "Coldplay" as a lyric, but he rhymed it with.... fucking "Coldplay!".

Also, he says, "blah blah blah blah blah that's / how / the/fuck/you/sound/ you drunk and hot girl" ... Dumbs as hell! Dumber than shit! But I love that line. I don't know why. It's the delivery. It's funny. It's how I feel about hot drink girls when they talk at me.

All of his albums have a few songs, with the possible exception of LR, have not-so-subtlety stupid lyrics. Wack lyrics, if you will. I mean even MBDTF has its moments of "meh" ... though the album's perfect, as is Graduation, so I wouldn't have it any other way. (Ex. "Fuck SNL and the whole cast... I'm an asshole? You niggas got jokes") (hah. What. Why did he say that? The verse is strong, but that's an unhappy ending, and I don't even know what it means.)
(I could also do without the Austin Powers name drop in "Power"... I mean... come on brah)

Which makes me wonder, again, what exactly has changed here. You're vocal about how disappointed you are in the "wack album" with the "wack lyrics" but you like Real Friends, Feedback, NMPILA, Wolves, ULB and 30 Hours, and I'm pretty sure you must like FML because... it's like Yeezy meets Sonic Youth man.

Even if you don't dig FML you still like half of the "real" songs on the album.
It kinda seems like you're concentrating too much on the bad, and not at all on the good. Instead of calling it an "ok album" or a "half good" album, you're just saying it's bad.
Which is also why I'd love for you to do a track by track point counterpoint with me. Because you must really REALLY hate those other songs if they're causing you to forget about the parts of the record you dig and call the thing garbage.

I kinda thought we all knew that Kanye dropped lyrical turds on occasion. I certainly did. Sonic Youth had many lines that border on embarrassing. But rather than taking away from the overall experience of listening to SY, those moments actually offer, for me anyway, moments of comic relief. They're like the little imperfections in a great piece of art. They give it character and SY as a band is better with those moments than they would otherwise be.

Same goes for Kanye. For me anyway. But I'm definitely an overall content > lyrics kind of guy. I fall for how a song makes me feel. If it feels good, and the lyrics are dumb, then so be it.

I love that QOTSA song "Feel good hit of the summer." Lyrically, it's literally a recipe for failing every part of a drug test. But it's a great song.

Anyway... Just saying man. If rhyming Coldplay with Coldplay didn't phase you, and the French ass restaurant/damn croissants didn't phase you, and "R Kelly and the God of rap/shittin' on you/ holy crap" didn't phase you, then why are you hating on an album for its bad lyrics when you like so many of its key songs?

I'm sorry I'm not trying to troll. Save your reply for the pm and we'll put it in the article.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|