View Single Post
Old 02.22.2016, 06:13 PM   #47800
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Star Wars Headspace compilation.

Honestly, while most of it is ok, the only tracks in really feeling are the ones by Kaskade and Bonobo at this point. The rest of it sounds way too "bug dumbass EDM"-y to me. These tracks have a more thoughtful, emotional vibe to them. Less festival banger bullshit, more introspective and subtle. Especially the Bonobo track.

They reached out to the wrong set of DJ's and producers for this thing. FlyLo was a good choice. But aside from him and Kaskade and Bonobo, I think this is pretty missable. Why didn't they go for a less "EDM," and more just plain electronic music feel?

I would have called DJ Koze first. Then Burial. Then Fantastic Mr. Fox, Madlib, patten, KidKanevil, Fennesz, Todd Terje, Boards of Canada, maybe Jonny Greenwood and maybe Trent Reznor to get some high octane professional film composer types in that shit. But maybe not. Oh, Portishead for fuckin sure. And Botany. This thing could have been epic and emotional as hell, and been an excellent compliment to the film scores. Instead, it's kinda just meh.

I just feel like this could have been a really artful, rich, textured album if they'd not tried to do the EDM thing. I love electronic music, but I Fucking hate most shit that's referred to as EDM. Thank god there's no Deadmau5 on this bitch.

I miss being able to call shit IDM.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|