View Single Post
Old 09.24.2015, 02:50 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Disney's failings as a person are well documented

i'm sure the man who installed my refrigerator had a lot of personal failings which unfortunately haven't been well documented. because if they were i'd return the thing. and who made that bridge there? were the engineers pure? i won't cross it unless i have proof!

(not writing this "at" you btw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
He was very involved but he did suppress the careers of hugely talented animators. People like Ub Iwerks was basically responsible for creating Mickey Mouse and was pretty much the sole animator on most of the early cartoons but, while Disney himself is a household name, it's bordering on criminal that stuff as good as this is now reliant on sites like youtube for its distribution.

I suppose in terms of your thread title, Disney was a 'Brilliant Artistic Visionary' and (rather than 'or') an 'Exploitative Corporate Monster'.

not sure so much exploitation as the human habit of looking for an "individual creator" even in an industrial system. in a similar vein, chuck jones gets all the credit for bugs bunny, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
When he built DisneyLand he set prices at levels only middle class and upper people could afford (which when Disneyland was created meant WHITE FOLKS ONLY).

i don't know how true that is. from what i've read the 70s disney ticket was pretty accessible to the middle class (whatever that means these days anyway). but it's NOW when they're tailoring the whole thing for one-percenter babies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/b...-class-behind/

ETA: ^^ a 1971 ticket = $3.50 - $20.46 in today's dollars *
today it's over $100..

* 2046!

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|