View Single Post
Old 08.21.2015, 12:40 PM   #18938
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I get its point I just never thought it was a particularly interesting one. By 66, the 'emptiness' argument had already become something of a pop cultural staple (the Stones Satisfaction, Richard Hamilton's collages, etc) and I'm not sure Antonioni adds much to it.

la dolce vita really wrote the book on that subject

=====

last night, or maybe it was the night before, saw fassbinder's "LOVE IS COLDER THAN DEATH". from 1969. his earliest film i could get on DVD.

i totally see the pre/post "sirk" (supposedly) transition. this film is dedicated to claude chabrol and eric rohmer and two other people whose names i didn't recognize/can't remember now, but more than rohmer it looks to me a strongly godard-influence movie with maybe a whiff of melville's gangster iconography.

cheaply made but not bad considering the times. some takes are just too fucking long but that i suppose goes with the movie. merchant of four seasons was made the following year and it's a huge leap in style-- not just the obvious use of color but the injection of overwrought emotion as well as the social critique that would characterize him later.

--

ps i think i realy like hanna schygulla in his films
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|