View Single Post
Old 08.21.2015, 05:08 AM   #18937
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I get its point I just never thought it was a particularly interesting one. By 66, the 'emptiness' argument had already become something of a pop cultural staple (the Stones Satisfaction, Richard Hamilton's collages, etc) and I'm not sure Antonioni adds much to it. As for the film itself, we can agree to disagree about the acting. Some obviously think Hemmings did a good job while I'm not convinced, but that's a subjective point on both sides. For me Blow Up ultimately remains a movie in Antonioni's second or even third tier (not a massive criticism given how much I like a lot of his other films) but an interesting curiosity in terms of 60s film overall - although, as an analysis of the era/scene, I put it below Nic Roeg's Performance or even Richard Lester's The Knack.

Anyway, had a bit of a teen nostalgia-fest this past few days, watching films I loved when I was growing up.

The Warriors; The Wanderers; Mad Max II; Death With; Dawn of the Dead.

Loved them then, still love them now.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|