View Single Post
Old 08.20.2015, 05:22 AM   #18927
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

that was the american remake of antonioni's "blow-up", wasn't it? i haven't seen it. seen blow-up maybe 3 times? gets better each time. blow-up is actually an adaptation of julio cortázar's "las babas del diablo," which is a really good & strange short story you should probably read if either a) you read spanish or b) can get a good translation. not sure what languages you read but seeing as how he ended up living in france maybe the french translations are good/personally supervised. maybe. but anyway. cortázar. impressed me a lot when i was a lil' kid.

It's not really a remake of Blow-Up, but Coppola said he was influenced by it and both are dealing with similar issues. It was a key-influence on some of the themes, but the approach of each respective film is quite different. Both gravitate towards secretly uncovering something by means of technology. But The Conversation is a lot more focused on the dangers of the technology in question. It's a movie about wire-tapping after all. And Gene Hackman's protagonist couldn't be more different from David Hemmings's Thomas. He's a careful, increasingly paranoid religious man who is starting to question the implications of his profession. The Conversation is a slow-moving, but incredibly tense and atmospheric film. The visuals are gritty and beautifully arranged. Combined with the sound of the recordings, there's always the notion of an ominous presence in the background. I think you might like it.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|