View Single Post
Old 07.14.2015, 10:09 AM   #47078
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I heard ppl describe Unwound as like SY back in the day.

Hell, I've said that, or something close to it, many times over the years. But when I talk about Unwound being similar to SY, I don't exactly mean that they sound like them, but rather that they achieved a sort of Sonic Youth-esque blend of genres and moods...

Unwound is more immediate than SY, even on their most experimental work. But I think they straddled the space between hardcore and "art-core" (for lack of a more fun word) just as SY did, and that in the end their music is probably more influenced by Sonic Youth's BMR-DDN run than anything else.

Really, they're still an entirely different animal... But the influence is there and they came closer to "Next Sonic Youth" status than anyone else I can think of.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|