View Single Post
Old 07.09.2015, 11:18 AM   #39315
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
our society devalues art, treating it solely as a sell-able commodity. There has to be a good middle ground somewhere

used to be artists had to gain the patronage of rich and powerful people in order to do their work. leonardo moved from italy to france for that reason.

art is treated as a commodity because our economy works that way. artists need to eat just like everyone who works. and because we are in a market economy, artists need the market.

the thing is--- the existence of the market is predicated on rules. without those rules, there is no market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
copyright has never ever ever had anything to do with the creators or art/music/literature, and everything to do with the business interests of those that make $$ off exploiting artists/musicians/writers.

No artists anywhere pay millions to lobbyists to "persuade" politicians to extend copyright law. It is the companies that own the rights that do so. the song Happy Birthday is still copyrighted, even though it is ancient as all fuck, and near universal, and no one can use it in a film or tv show without paying a faceless conglomerate (probably EMI who own nearly 80% of all music rights) over $100,000! whoever wrote the ditty (Irving Berlin?) has been dead for decades and is not benefiting from it.

i was gonna say "sure", but now that i think about it, ASCAP is actually member-owned by artists and publishers and fights for copyright protection ina a big asshole way.

so i looked it up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...d_Publish ers

so, see, it's more complicated
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|