View Single Post
Old 06.02.2015, 11:57 AM   #18774
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
riiiight. almodovar is all about the melodrama, but also with a huge dose of comedy-- it's camp, but maybe "high camp", because it's so well done. and it's super entertaining-- at the same time heart-wrenching but also not serious. so while the guy loves venezuelan telenovelas, he also takes the form to another level where it becomes really good art-- a place where you can observe the emotion and understand the suffering but also laugh at it like a maniac because you see the absurdity of it all. it achieves aesthetic detachment but it's not aloof in the least. a great dialectic.

he in a way sees the same emotional vomit that you see, but instead of disgust he can laugh, then have great compassion for it, and then have a huge laugh again. it's just brilliant.

sexo y lucia is not his but julio medem's i think (if that's his name). nowhere near as funny/memorable/anything. i saw it but can't remember much now.

and yeah, i was gonna say spock!

you should probably love kubrick then. he was also not much into emotion, he was often accused of using "wooden" actors, and he was suspected of being mildy autistic. he's also one of my favorite filmmakers. i have a lot of favorite filmmakers ha ha ha.

do you like epic ultraviolence? have you tried sam peckinpah? fucking excellent.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|