View Single Post
Old 06.02.2015, 10:49 AM   #18771
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think I hate Mike Leigh films because I am unable to draw meaning and intent from facial cues. I have always been horrible at it. My wife constantly has to explain why characters in movies and TV are doing what they do because I miss the non-verbal stuff that seems plain as day to her.

I think that is why I always loved books and written stories and not films, other than hard sci fi, action, and comedy movies. everything that is subtle, facial tics, eye expressions, body language, etc. means nothing to me.

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

that explains a lot! i wish you had explained this before.

this kind of thing is the sort of scene that makes almodovar hilarious:

and it's hard to translate the expression in her eyes with the box of pastry (or something) on her lap-- it's like, she's really uncomfortable but putting up with it, which is absurd, and the woman getting fucked there looking like she's having a conversation. because obviously you're either scandalized and walk away or you don't give a shit and just talk-- but she's in that middle space where she doesn't want to be there but she's there and her eyes tell you everything.

i can see also why you like les enfants du paradis-- it's like a play. lots of wide shots and few closeups, everything is spoken outloud. but what about the mime? is it because the mime's expressions are "big"?

so i imagine maybe you liked "a scanner darkly" a lot? (animations, lots of philosophical talk, etc.)

neurological diversity is fascinating. i know a bunch of dyslexics-- all of them happen to be photographers!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|