View Single Post
Old 04.06.2015, 05:28 PM   #18654
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
this past weekend i saw

CLOUD ATLAS - started sloooowwww and it almost put me to sleep (i was tired) but the next day it picked up and was pretty good, considering its hodgepodge quality ("fiskadoro meets the matrix meets blade runner meets buddhism meets many meats"). mega-ambitious hence doomed to failm, and yes a little bit cheesy (okay, a lot cheesy) but when the old farts said "all for one and one for all" i teared up a little. worth a look even if in the end you disapprove. watch it in the daytime. 4/5

THE DOUBLE - moss from the IT crowd (richard ayoade) directed this. starts VERY kafkaesque then switches slightly-- found out it's adapted from a dostoevsky story i've never read before ("the double"). i must now check that out.

i would have liked the movie more if i hadn't seen scenarious like this before (gilliam's brazil, etc.) the lighting/photography was reminiscent 4 months 2 weeks 3 days-- dim lights everywhere. i did like that.

for someone with innocent eyes it will probably be a 5/5, for jaded me it was a 3-- however, since it was moss (moss rules!) then it's a 4/5.

BIRDMAN - great, really. amazing camera work for starters--that thing goes on non-stop and it goes everywhere-- fantastic technical achievement and it's not technique for its own sake but it feeds into the frantic and claustrophobic pace of the story.

story is okay (a big goofy with the telekinesis or whatever) but the acting is great-- whatsisname and edward norton-- great. emma stone with her alien eyes, very good. amy ryan i like lots but is there so briefly. same as naomi watts. this was mostly about keaton who delivered the goods.

in the end, it's a filmed play, and maybe it's not a great play, but the way it was filmed and acted was super-impressive. 5/5 since i'm using integers, but maybe 4.5/5 if granularity is required. best thing i saw all weekend besides the lewandowski goal.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|