Thread: "Pop Music"
View Single Post
Old 02.02.2015, 11:34 PM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
There seems to be some confusion over a "catchy tune" and "pop music." Yeah, the Pixies had some catchy tunes, and may have been influenced by objectively pop artists like Brian Wilson, but the music wasn't meant for a POPular audience. It's too eccentric, even if they did find some mass acceptance in Europe.

i think you're mixing up pop as a musical genre with music that is popular.

pop as i understand is a form of music which originally derived from rocknroll, follows the same pattern of verse/chorus/verse and but it's "lighter" or "softer" and often more danceable. e.g 80's new wave. since pop is ancient it has had time to blend with and infuse itself into infinite other genres from hiphop to country, r&b, punk, etc. like you said in another part i'm not quoting, it changes with the time.

shit, there was an npr thing about kelly clarkson playing some obscure band's song and how snobs were rejecting it for being kelly clarkson without realizing it was their hipster idols being cover..

while pixies is generally a "rock" band, some pixies songs are so soft and easy listening and happy that to my ears they qualify as pop-- e.g. here comes your man, or velouria. the pixies learned so much from the beatles after all.

i say this about the pixies as a musical thing and not "lyrics."

btw, the first time i heard the pixies was not in a secret cavern with the initiated few but on FM radio. which is why initially i didn't pay them much attention. but after years & years, what's left of them with me is the singsong of it all. it's good fun music to clean the house to or listen to while driving-- not to sit on your sofa with headphones on like you'd listen to a symphony.

here's a puzzle to torment your brain: siouxie and the banshees covering dear prudence by the beatles. wtf genre is it?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|