Thread: "Pop Music"
View Single Post
Old 02.02.2015, 07:37 PM   #25
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
There seems to be some confusion over a "catchy tune" and "pop music." Yeah, the Pixies had some catchy tunes, and may have been influenced by objectively pop artists like Brian Wilson, but the music wasn't meant for a POPular audience. It's too eccentric, even if they did find some mass acceptance in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
Yes! what even is pop music?????

Tough to describe a genre. Pleasing music aimed for a general audience?

What's interesting about pure pop is:

1.) A generation's pop all sounds the same, it all has that "poppy" sound that is tough to describe but everyone knows

and yet

2.) This sound changes now and then. Contemporary pop doesn't sound like 80s pop. I don't think this has anything to do with "musical progress" or "evolving taste." Probably more to do with technology.

And yeah, dancing and light shows are all part of it. The pop machine is meant to please and entertain a large audience, and yes, somewhat talented people work hard to pull this off.

Conceptually this all sounds fun, and maybe sometimes it is, though sometimes the strange values being expressed ruin it for me. But I'm probably just a tightass.

Gonna download the latest Billboard Top 40 and see what's what.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|