Thread: "Pop Music"
View Single Post
Old 02.02.2015, 08:48 AM   #19
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Off the top of my head some great pop songs-

Pretty much anything by ABBA
Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Like a Virgin-Madonna (I'd say Ray of Light is just as good)
Dancing On The Ceiling-Lionel Richie (he sucks, but god that song is just brilliant)
Telephone-Lady Gaga/Beyonce
Put a Ring On It-Beyonce
Toxic-Britney Spears
Where Did Our Love Go-The Supremes
Your Song-Elton John
Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay-Otis Redding
Back in Black-Amy Winehouse
Superstion-Stevie Wonder
Hey Ya-Outkast
Personal Jesus-Depeche Mode
Go Your Own Way-Fleetwood Mac
Crazy-Gnarls Barkley
Umbrella-Rhianna
Rolling In The Deep-Adele
Life's What You Make It-Talk Talk
Somebody I Used To Know-Gotye
Kiss-Prince
Believe-Cher
Call Me Maybe-Taylor Swift
Daft Punk-Get Lucky

And two songs more recently that kill it

Take Me To Church-Hozier
Uptown Funk-Mark Ronson

To reiterate-to make out that the only great pop songs were done by the Beatles is narrow-minded at best, and plain moronic at worst. And I say this loving The Beatles.

I agree with all of the above and could add many many more. By the by, I thought that Call Me Maybe was Carly Rae Jepson? No matter it's a good track anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Call me narrowminded or anything you want, but I think you have listed here just ordinary pop songs. Most of them are good of course. Bacharach has been a lot better to do catchy melodies than most of today´s pop composers, but that´s all. Strawberry, Eleanor Rigby, Tomorrow Never Knows, Lucy in the Sky with diamonds, a Day In Life, Dear Prudence, Happiness Is a Warm Gun etc. mix art & pop very genius way that no-one had made before and I think hasn´t made after that (at least better than the Beatles).

I don´t understand the tendency to negate the importance of the Beatles. I think also today´s music will sound really different if Beatles has never existed. Or do you think the new Sgt version of Flaming Lips is just a joke from them?

Even if you think the Beatles wrote the best pop songs (contentious to begin with! but a matter of opinion so...) doesn't mean there are no other great pop songs. The Beatles did not exist in a vacuum - while I agree they have had a HUGE impact on modern pop music that does not necessarily mean they are automatically BETTER than the music they have inspired. (It also doesn't necessarily follow that because they have had a lot of influence means they are essentially good or better than other acts).

Of course it all comes down to personal opinion but I think that there has been a lot more interesting pop music than the Beatles. I appreciate it is easy in hindsight to think the Beatles are not that great since now they are so overplayed and imitated. But if you look at the landscape of pop music now I think it is a lot more varied & interesting - yes in part due to the Beatles but I think it would be really churlish to ignore e.g. the influence of hip hop (amongst others!). Speaking of which don't you think it is important to note that four white guys dominate so many people's perspective of music which is rooted in black origins????

just my thoughts on the matter as a lover of non-Beatles pop music