View Single Post
Old 01.06.2015, 02:39 PM   #3740
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
You know, I feel like such a fraud. I haven't read anything in months. I think literacy has plasticity and I'm in a lull, nowhere near peak performance. I can't believe I'm the same person who could once knock off 200 pages in a day. I haven't read more than one page since October, I think.

And for the past few years it was nothing but short stories. Before that, a very long Updike binge (21 novels, way over 100 stories).

I'd like to return to literature. Learn how to read again. It's the schoolboy in me. I'm inspired to read a James I haven't yet. Then Conrad's Under Western Eyes, which I've wanted to read for, well, years. (And I own a fucking copy! What's wrong with me? Did I really have to watch those stupid SNL episodes?) A Flaubert. Trollop for laughs. Maybe give Woolf's heretofore unreadable The Waves another go. Take a few days to read all of Euripides. Then I'll switch it up and turn to Kafka, Becket, Borges, Nabokov for new flavors. But nothing past 1950.

(That list: the cracker patriarchy really was a bad motherfucker, wasn't he?)

Hm. The more I think of it: is this tempting or would it be tedious? I might be a little unsure.

Don't worry it happens. I'm coming out of my non-reading phase after months of not reading. One day the books you couldn't imagine reading a few weeks back suddenly look like the best idea you could do.

Seeing as I never contribute to this thread I'll add my current reading-

Brilliant so far. I've read a fair few books about film/films, but this one has to rank as one of the best out there. He manages to make each film he talks about the next one you want to watch.

I finished this last week and you guys should totally check it out-

A comic book that really is something else. There's no general narrative, there's no heroes, there's no major characters. Basically it focuses on one corner of a room in a house, and follows that corner through the decades. Mcquire zooms from 2030 all the way back thousands of years ago and the people there at the time. From a bison who sat in the very spot before the house was ever built, to a child simply playing with a toy. It may seem like you wouldn't be able to a handle on the characters that appear (sometimes for one page, sometimes spreading over many pages), but each person you find out yourself trying to figure a story to them. Here's a shot of a page to give you an example.

Brilliant. Done by the bassist in Liquid Liquid oddly enough.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|