View Single Post
Old 11.20.2014, 09:59 AM   #1384
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Soooo... Pusha-T - "Lunch Money" ... Hip-Hop single of the year?

Yes it's a little goofy and boasty, and it has nothing on MNIM's better cuts (not lyrically anyway). It's a fun track, and an eccentric little semi-banger. But if this is the "fun teaser throwaway" single, imagine what the rest of Pusha and Ye's be material sounds like!!

And as louder so eloquently put it:

Quote:
Originally by louder:
THAT FUCKING BEAT THOUGH

... Yeezy continues to evolve despite already being a permanent resident of the future. On this track, he keeps the beat pretty consistent throughout, which is something he hasn't really done in a while. Actually, not since Graduation has crafted such a straight forward arrangement. Only back then he was still a disciple of the soul sound for the most part.

With "Lunch Money" (a straight-forward verse-hook-verse-hook track, even for the more traditionally minded Push) Ye combines pop structure with the glitchy, anxious, bizarre sound sampling style that gave Yeezus such a unique sound.

It's Kanye in both "Champion" & "On Sight" modes at once, and I've got to say it sounds fucking dope. You can even hear a slight nod to the footwork approach championed in Chi-town by the late DJ Rashad. I've always believed that Kanye West and footwork (the genre) were destined to cross paths at some point, and I truly hope this is our first taste of it.

This may be a fun throwaway teaser for titanic talents like Pusha and Ye, but compared to the rest of the year's singles, it sounds like the sole survivor of a zombie apocalypse. An incentive new hip-hop track with fresh blood pumping through its veins, in a sea of tired, necromantic beats lifted from last year's tired necromantic beats, many of which were themselves pretty tired and grave-robbing to begin with. (I'm looking at you, DJ Mustard.... The world has no need of you anymore. You've done your tired-ass thing over and over and over and over and doing it again is not going to do shit for your legacy as the king lowest-common-denominator club-bangery. Just fucking retire already.)

So again, I can't wait to hear what these two have in store for us in 2015, but I have no doubt that the alliance between King Push and Yeezy is one of almost limitless potential; a dynamic duo in the making.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|