View Single Post
Old 09.29.2014, 09:35 AM   #1208
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP - 2013 - Polo Grounds
Wunderkind. That's what I'd call Rocky. After his brilliant Live.Love.Rocky mixtape, he scored himself a huge major label deal and the stakes were high. So what does he do? More of the same? Well kind of, except also totally not. Long.Live.A$AP is full of twists and turns, all the while reminding of you of why he got signed in the first place, or why you (and he) both love hip hop anyway. That slow, druggy chopped-n-screwed shit is here for sure. But Rocky's not afraid to branch out. On the opening track (THE OPENING TRACK!) he sings the chorus himself in a lazy falsetto. "PMW" and "LVL" both have brilliantly slow, purple beats and then a few tracks later you're hit with "Fuckin' Problems" which was somehow a single featuring 2 Chainz, Drake and Kendrick Lamar over a pretty upbeat electro backdrop. But that's nothing, because "Wild For The Night" has Skrillex re-imagining Birdy Nam Nam as a late night on the town with A$AP Mob. Then you've got "1Train," which is a posse cut of the magnitude of "Protect Ya Neck" or "Leflaur Lefleh Eshkoska" and featuring a veritable Who's Who of current hip hop with a lineup of (ready?) Kendrick, Joey Bada$$, Yelawolf, Danny Brown, Action Bronson and Big KRIT - all spitting what I'd consider some of their finest stray verses. "Fashion Killa" is this total 90's-styled radio track that was weirdly never a single and then the album shifts gears for its closing with "Phoenix," a haunting Dangermouse production and "Suddenly," a self-produced track that goes on without a drumbeat for most of its existence, teetering on self-destruction until finally erupting into celebration. There's also deluxe edition bonus tracks totally worth hearing - among them a diss track at SpaceGhostPurrp as well as a duet with Florence from Florence And The Machine. Whereas Live.Love.A$AP was amazing for its focused vision, Long.Live.A$AP is amazing for taking that vision and stretching it out in as many directions as possible while sounding like Rocky.

Hi, thanks for reviewing this tits album.

I have only one question: when you refer to the "mixtape" called "Live.Love.Rocky" are you talking about Rocky's debut, or are you referring to something else? perhaps an actual mixtape with that actual title from before the release of Live.Love.A$AP? Or are you just using a more colloquial definition of "mixtape" that includes full length albums with multiple producers?

I've gotta know, because if I'm missing something in my discography, then I need to remedy that shit right the fuck away.

Props on the review... (For both albums but mostly for Rocky, since I Prefer him to Game, or would if I had to choose, and when it comes to Game I'm actually a bigger fan of his later material, even that makes me the only one)....
Anyway, at first I was unimpressed by Long.Live.A$AP (and yes I feel an appropriate amount of shame about that) but even when I felt that way, I fucking LOVED "LVL" and "Fuckin' Problems." "LVL" may be my favorite Rocky track to date, and that's saying a lot.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|