View Single Post
Old 02.13.2014, 11:15 AM   #11
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i'm one of the people who missed the point at first seeing starship troopers. i liked the effects and i liked denise richards, but i really disliked the movie. but i don't blame myself for it. it really appears different post-iraq.

yes, on recollection it's mocking a ridiculous mindset, but i originally thought the movie was justifying a ridiculous war mindset-- places like that cave when they blow up that big bug sort of give away these people are assholes, but you still doubt it as a whole. kinda like if you at first watch colbert without context (some article linked up there mentions colbert) you might think he's serious. first time i stumbled upon colbert i didn't know it was in the comedy channel and it took me a while to get it.

because think about it-- when i first saw a fox news broadcast i couldn't tell it wasn't a parody. i couldn't believe the things that would come out of those people's mouths. the complete bullshit and distortion. only later i found out that people believe that shit in earnest and fox has high ratings. it blew my mind!

also when i first talked to an educated creationist (employed at ibm no less!) i thought he was pulling my leg with the bullshit about god planting fossils to trick us. seriously! i just couldn't reconcile that a smart successful person could earnestly believe such utter bullshit. but it happens. and it happens a lot.

i mean, america can be its own caricature.

e.g.:

^^ is this a joke or is it in earnest? tell me, o so-clever ones.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|