View Single Post
Old 08.05.2013, 11:16 PM   #3625
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
That's true, but I was also talking about the development of the NBA in the late 1970s early 1980s when it wasn't that world class talent and arena wise. However you're right, when the NBA began to make a name for itself in the 1980s, it wasn't like there were any other basketball leagues to compete for audience share. I just really don't see MLS luring away Euro fans one way or the other, so I suppose they have to work with what they can..
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
So the unique problem facing the MLS is how does it sell itself to a mainstream audience used to thinking of its team sports as representing the very highest level possible?

Perhaps that's just it. If MLS can't lure Euro talent (like they tried to have with the Beckham deal years ago) in droves they probably won't lure Euro fans. So if they can't elevate their talent to the highest level possible, maybe the selling point becomes developing the culture. If the stadiums are first-class, the teams at least talented and professional, and people are selling out stadiums and beginning to create a buzz (all of which are going on in MLS currently) then that might just have to be enough. Maybe the MLS will have to start to kind of claim itself as uniquely American soccer, having all the amenities that Americans are accustomed to for their spectator sport experience, but not necessarily pretend to be the highest possible level in the world, just highest within themselves. It sounds silly, I know, but again, sometimes American sport is silly.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|