View Single Post
Old 01.25.2013, 09:47 PM   #17065
Robert Schunk
children of satan

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
The last movie I watched was "Submarine D-7" from 1937, which I watched earlier tonight. It was OK, at least to the extent that it showed off lots of old naval ships, from subs to battlewagons. I was startled to see an old transport, the USS Henderson, showing up in many of the in-port scenes until it dawned on me that she must have transported the film crew and their equipment around to the various ports. Some parts were totally unrealistic, as when a Torpedoman's Mate 1/c [asses his Chief's exam and immediately gets promoted to Master Chief Torpedoman, which is impossible in the navy. But it was fun to see a 1930's submarine inside and out, as well as lots of four-piper DDs, an Omaha-class CL (USS Cincinatti), and a few World War I/early 1920's-era BBs.

One thing that raised my ire, however, was the film's apparent inability to speak the name of "Swede" Momsen, who almost single-handedly invented modern submarine safety technology. Not only did they have one of the movie's characters design his submarine rescue chamber, but when they referred to the Momsen Lung, they simply called it "the lung", with no mention of Momsen's name.
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|