View Single Post
Old 11.19.2012, 01:12 AM   #16885
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've always had problems with Don De Lillo's dialogue but on the written page it feels more acceptable than when it's actually spoken in a film. Robert Pattinson especially is just not good enough an actor to pull it off. For a billionaire wizzkid genius he seems nothing more than baffled by the things he's saying (and I refuse to buy into any 'but that's intentional' arguments). Things only improve (slightly) towards the end, when Paul Giamatti turns up. Otherwise, and I usually hate this term, it all comes across as being a bit pseudo intellectual.

I know you mentioned that you refuse to "buy" the character's uncertainty, indecisiveness, confusion, turmoil etc. as intentional, but it really seemed that way to me from what I remember. That was the whole point of his strong urge to get that haircut at that particular barber shop. He had no idea what was going on and wanted to avoid everything by clinging to something more concrete or simple or whatever. I totally get what you're saying and I understand why people wouldn't enjoy themselves. I stand by what I said though. I thought it was one of Cronenberg's more interesting films in a while. It's thought provoking and dark as hell. I mean, I remember feeling a bit more depressed walking out of it than the moment I had arrived (the downside). But I was just hooked to it the whole time and the scene with Giamatti was wonderful as you said. It's a daring film and in some ways reminds me of Crash (possibly due to the sexual scenes that took place inside of the limo). I just generally picked up these sexual undertones while the camera would sort of scrutinize all the cameras and different functions of the limousine. I don't know if that was intentional or if it was merely my sick mind making it out to be that way. I enjoy reading your thoughts on just about anything here.

I haven't seen that Scorsese film.

Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|