View Single Post
Old 11.09.2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
If you want philosophical why not cut the middleman and read some philosophy?

the book that blew my mind more than the whole dune saga or any cyberpunk books or anything i have read before or since was nietzsche's "beyond good and evil". the earlier stuff can be a bit adolescent, later on i think he goes bananas (though will to power was never a finished book).

read the walter kaufmann translation. it's great, has good notes, etc.

oh and unlike other philosophy books this one is neither dry as fuck nor incomprehensibly abstruse-- actually it's got plenty of laughs.

actually, come to think of it--- if you like shit with superheroes and magic animals and shit like that (i don't), then you could read the zarathustra!

I respect your recommendation, but like so many other great books, this one was ruined for me by a traditional liberal arts education. There's something about reading a book in a sterile classroom, and listening to a bunch of dillweeds wax philosophical over it to impress a bored teacher, that executes interest and thought like with the efficiency of a lethal injection.

I recreationally read speculative fiction because academia never goes anywhere near it, and because reading the right SF novel can sometimes rekindle an interest in books like this.

Honestly, it's SF more than any other genre that makes me independently investigate scientific and philosophical theories on my own time. I applaud your persistence and taste, though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|