View Single Post
Old 07.04.2012, 04:06 PM   #5016
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Over the last few months I've tried both Rift and Star Wars: The Old Republic on a trial basis.
Rift sucks. In almost every way it's inferior to World of Warcraft, which it closely emulates. There are a number of different "classes" like WoW, which you customize (like wow). But the casting/action animations look stiff, the colour is washed-out looking, the quests are boring, and most of the classes closely resemble those in WoW. Not that wow was all original, but Rift feels like the cheap Chinese-made dollar store knock off a popular toy. If you never had the real thing, it'd probably be okay.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a much different animal. It's more story-driven, much less about being an MMORPG. It feels like a single-player game, at least to the point where I had to quit. There were things I didn't like about it, but all in all I had fun playing it. I was debating whether to let my wow sub lapse and play SW:TOR instead. In the end I stayed with wow, and found a lot of people in my guild (in wow) ended up quitting Star Wars after a while. One thing I really liked about Star Wars was the option of how to turn in your quest. You could make "dark/evil/bad" choices or "good/nice" choices. They didn't always mesh with what I considered bad, but it's still a neat idea.

Knowing WoW though, they are probably ready to leap on any innovations other MMOs make and see if they can steal them and integrate them into their game.